5/24/10

The Desire to Cheat

Screen shot 2010-05-24 at 6.27.19 PM

I've refrained from eating most meat for over five years now. I make exceptions when I travel to far away places because regional food is the deepest way to get a sense of a culture, but most of my adult life, I've stayed away from eating mammals of any kind. The food industry in the US is one I want nothing to do with. We have all read about it's exploitation of workers, cruelty towards animals, and devastating effects on the global environment-- and still, little has changed. The words "organic," "free range," and "cruelty free," are disconcerting and contradictory to me... idiotic, band-aid words most people use to feel better about slaughtering and torturing innocent creatures. I'll stop with this though...

Lately... very very lately... I've had a lust for meat that I'm terrified by. A bite of a hamburger at the Spotted Pig in New York opened the gates to a sinful place. A bite of pistachio crusted chicken here... a bite of bacon there... just a taste I say, but is it really just a taste?

I'm trying to cope-- trying to get rid of these thoughts... But today, when I read over a note my friend wrote about Langer's Pastrami sandwiches, I had this insatiable desire to not just take a nick--but eat an entire, sloppy portion all to myself... dripping fat, the taste of meat filling my mouth, falling coleslaw, oozing cheese and all...

It's essential to my sense of self that I stare this behavior in the face and RID IT from my life.




3 comments:

AQ said...

Just come back to the dark side already. You eat meat. Face it! SHE CHEATED WITH ME!!!!!! :P

Anonymous said...

just a bite of a hamburger.... riiiiiight

Natasha Subramaniam said...

What anonymous little rat wrote that!?

Blog Archive