10/18/09

Tacos from Heaven

Today I tasted what I truly believe to be one of the most incredible fish tacos I've eaten in Los Angeles. Think tender, fluffy white fish, lightly battered, fried, and served on thin toasted corn tortillas, to which you can add a fresh, authentic variety of salsas, spiced radish relish, shredded cabbage, and crema.

BLISS. ABSOLUTE BLISS.

I started out with two, and couldn't resist a third. Despite being fried, these tacos settled incredibly well--I suspect because each is made to order on the spot, with minimal battering, so you get much more fish than oil.

So, where did I try this marvelous taco? "Best Fish Taco in Ensenada." Tucked away in what would otherwise be a more desolate part of the Hillhurst strip in Los Feliz, the ambience is low budge at it's finest. Two ladies take turns grilling tortillas and frying fish behind a simple counter, no frills, no other items to choose from--just perfected shrimp & fish tacos, with a beverage of horchata, ginger ale, or tamarindo if so desired. Dominican pop tunes buzz from a rickety but divine stereo, extending to an outdoor patio area where you can byob, which is convenient considering this place is right next to Cap' n' Cork.

This spot makes me sigh with happiness, reminding me of one of the reasons why I love Los Angeles...


Side note: My apologies for the minimal photographs lately, I can't bring myself to upload low-res, gritty ones from the internet. I'm working on it.

No comments:

Blog Archive