10/27/09

Cucina Povera

Tonight for dinner I made farfalle pasta with a sauce assembled from scraps that were laying around. This consisted of leftovers from last Thursday's dinner party (roasted butternut squash and an herb/ricotta cheese mixture) and also a bit of canned tomato, chick peas, garlic, onion, mint, basil, and olive oil. Let me tell you, this is probably one of the best pastas I've ever made. All from scraps. Coincidentally, I had a conversation with a good friend this morning, who last night, was also faced with the task of devising a dinner out of the remnants of last weeks groceries. She made a stew, which she too claims is beyond anything she has cooked before.

Some of the world's most delicious food originates from sheer resourcefulness and innovation, where one has to make something delicious out of few options. In places like India, Vietnam, and Southern Italy, where poverty is immense, the food is mind blowingly delicious--better than any five star establishment, rooted in the love and humility put into the cooking. I suggest everyone think twice before they throw anything eatable away, it might just inspire your next stroke of genius...

1 comment:

Interludes said...

Tashi, your pasta sounds incredible!

My favorite challenge in the kitchen is to come up with something delicious and creative out of scraps!
Its a game I play with myself whenever the situation arises when I am starving and there is nothing to eat!

Blog Archive